GSA chooses HQ team, narrows courthouse list
December 24, 2002
Appeared in Washington Business Journal
The General Services Administration has selected Shalom Baranes and Studios and Syska Hennessy Group as the architect/engineer design team that will modernize its headquarters building.
The renovation contract is worth $130 million.
Shalom Baranes, in association with Studios and Syska Hennessy Group, were chosen from 28 architect/engineer teams that submitted proposals for renovating the GSA headquarters at 18th and F streets NW. The building originally was constructed as the headquarters for the Department of Interior, and was completed in 1917.
Separately, GSA has narrowed the list of architect/engineer design teams for the modernization of the old D.C. Courthouse at 4th and D streets NW.
The six teams chosen from 28 submissions are:
- Beyer Blinder Belle with Joseph R. Loring & Associates;
- Davis Brody Bond with Vanderweil Engineers;
- Quinn Evans Architects with GHT Limited Consulting Engineers;
- RTKL with Syska & Hennessy Group;
- Skidmore, Owings & Merrill in association with Flack + Kurtz;
- Vitetta with HSMM Engineers.
The renovation of the D.C. Courthouse is part of a master plan for updating Judiciary Square. GSA is overseeing the master plan at the request of the D.C. Courts under a reimbursable agreement.
The courthouse, built in 1820, was the first permanent facility exclusively dedicated to the municipality of D.C.
Renovation plans include a 37,000-square-foot addition to the building's north side.