Are You a Green FM?
August 01, 2001
Appeared in Today's Facility Manager
To qualify as a green fm, youll need to:
- Reduce aggregate energy use over the baseline by at least 10%.
- Reduce electrical energy consumption over the base case by 20%.
- Reduce water consumption for similar building type and site square footage by 30%.
- Optimally recycle or reuse construction waste and demolition materials generated by the project.
- Recycle 75% of operational waste.
- Select building materials that emphasize sustainability standards.
- Increase building longevity through durable construction elements and adaptable design.
- Achieve a healthy and productive indoor environment.
- Utilize environmentally friendly housekeeping and custodial practices and products.
- Educate others by sharing your best practices.
Rob Bolin is Vice Presdent of the Sustainable Design Group in the Los Angeles office of Syska Hennessy Group, a consulting engineering firm that provides technical solutions in such areas as mechanical/electrical design, facilities management, facilities business management, technology consulting and engineering, and turnkey design/build. Bolin is also a U.S. Green Building Council LEED Accredited Professional. For more information, call (310) 312-0200 or e-mail email@example.com.